Thursday 24 April 2008

My city, my pictures...


I want to take you for a short stroll around my city - Gniezno. Of course, I will present you some works of mine as this blog is devoted to the stills photography, especially architecture.

Eyes left! It is probably the most beautiful and famous building in my humble city. This cathedral remembers times of middle-ages and adjacent hills must have seen Mieszko The First with his most honourable court. Inside there are several masterpieces of art certainly worth seeing. First of all, the grave of st. Wojciech who brought Christianity to Prussia and eventually was killed there. Secondly, the famous door of Gniezno (or Gniezno Doors if you prefer), "a piece of furniture?" - someone may ask. The answer is yes and no, this is normal door - two wings and hinges, but on the other hand, this massive piece of iron depicts the history of the life of St. Wojciech. Thirdly, there is a treasury with all the artefacts that have been excavated near the cathedral. Obviously, there are several more things to be admired there, but for the time being I do not want to disclose all the secrets.


A few pieces of information about Gniezno.
Gniezno is a small and peaceful city east from the capital of Great Poland, which is Poznań. It has got around 75,000 inhabitants and two (sic!) railway stations. Gniezno is one of the oldest cities in Poland - its roots reach back to the 8th century.

But, why should I write this whole stuff here when you might click this link (a link to Wikipedia source) and read it all by yourself. However, be careful, there are some pieces of information that might be no longer valid.

CU

1 comment:

M. said...

The only person from our group (apart from me) that devoted some of his free time to modernize his blog. And since posting comments is a part of our job, I just wanted to send greetings to you! :)