Wednesday 23 April 2008

My first computer...

Well, we are supposed to write something about our experience with computers... I must admit I cannot recall any concrete memories, but I remember playing "Rambo" on Commodore 64, which, in fact, was not mine. Certainly that was my first contact, my first impression, I was stunned watching my friend as he took a screwdriver and was trying to fix the matrix in this marvellous piece of equipment. MY first computer, hm, I just remember the operating system, and it was old, good and foolproof Norton Commander. Funny fact about these times, Windows was as rare then as Linux is nowadays. So I remember deciphering all the functions and unravelling the mysteries of DOS. Do you remember DOS anyway? Sometimes I miss this blinking line after C:/...

Now I am writing this post on a laptop, operating system: Windows XP, loads of USB ports and... virtually no magic. Mario, Lotus, Tag... old times, good times...

3 comments:

kasia said...

Hi ! At least somebody shares with me the experience with Commodore 64... ;)

moovi said...

Maybe I'm carping at you, but are you sure that Norton Commander was an operating system?

Tomek said...

Well, certainly Norton Commander is not an operating system, but I thought so when I first saw it. We can name it an add-on or widget if you prefer;)